Monday, September 17, 2007

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. I'm waiting to stick my foot in my mouth. I'm waiting because thus far, I have amazing kids. I fully realize that this is only my second year doing this, and that I'm probably doing a good deal more in terms of being a good teacher this year, but I have very few tardies, everyone is coming to class on a regular basis, and for the first major assignments of the year I'm only missing THREE from all three of my classes. Total. Compare that to last year, and pfeewww, we're talking a difference that would probably take my fingers and my toes. Seriously.

What am I doing better? I think a great deal has to do with confidence and with the fact that I feel that I don't have so much to prove. I'm still holding myself to a high standard, and my kids to even higher standards, but for some reason they seem to be buying in right off that bat, and that didn't happen immeadiately last year. I spent the better half of the first semester proving myself at this new school. Now kids know me, even if I don't know them. They know I'm not full of shit and that I'm fun. They know I'll teach them something in a way that they would have never thought about before.

I'm sure in a month or two I'll be moaning and griping here, but for now, I'll just bask in the glow of the honeymoon period, which was far over by this point last year. I'm going to enjoy it whilst it lasts, dammit.

No comments: