Monday, July 14, 2008

The Job Search Continues and Other Fantastic News:

After a few more interviews under his belt, but still no job offers, Adam continues to be upbeat. He SHOULD find something before school starts, but if not, we've formulated a plan. It's not a very good one, as he refuses to think about a job in a different line of work (and I don't really blame him - the last 10 years of his life have been geared toward education and it's his passion!): substitute in area districts and find a night job of some type. He has experience managing a gas station, so that might be an option, but I'm afraid the pay won't be great. If we can come close to the same amount of money we made last year (figuring in my decent raise and maybe cutting a few things here and there) we'll be OK. The good news is Adam jsut finished paying off a small school loan ($50 a month) and I'm nearing finishing another small one (another $50 a month). The car will be finished in about a year and if we can just hang on till then...too bad I'm still strapped with a large monthly payment for my consolidated school loans and I'm mostly only paying interest at this point...but school debt is GOOD debt according to experts like Suze Orman (but I think she's NUTS!).

The worst news in all of this is the fact that we were sort of planning on trying to start a family this fall. If he gets a job, this might still be a go, but I doubt it. Motherhood will be pushed off for yet another 1-2 years, which is getting a bit scary, seeing as how I'll be turning (gasp!) 31 next month.

How the fuck did that happen? Seems like just yesterday that I was waitressing and getting schwasted every night with tons of friends and loving it. Now we're struggling to find good friends in this judgemental and snobbish town, praying for a job that never seems to come, and wondering if parenthood will ever be a real possiblity for us.

A lot of this goes without discussion; it's just a quiet understanding between the two of us. But as each year of our marriage passes (it was SIX years yesterday!) we see how strong our relationship is and that if we can make it through times like these (this is not the first time Adam's job has been cut, but last time I didn't have a job and we were renting a shitty little house) we can make it through anything.

No comments: